Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Venture Concept No. 2

The time has come to revisit one of my old posts about my venture concept. This time I will be adding at the end of my original post some of my thoughts about the feedback I received and my vision on how I plan to change my venture given the feedback and my considerations on it.
My idea first arose from observing; as in many cases, when one observes the world around, it becomes easier to identify things that aren’t being fully taken advantage of and therefore improve them. Another common occurrence is the identification of a problem and the subsequent creation of a solution. Well my venture concept is based on the latter, as I one day observed a pet owner frantically search for her missing dog. This event reminded me of my younger days, where I would chase my dog around my neighborhood every time it ran away and sometimes I was simply unable to find it. This motivated to find pet owners and simply ask questions; through such simple inquisitive means I was able to generalize that there is no current means for a pet owner to properly and reliable locate its pet. This generalization was able to bring to light an issue that many local pet owners suffer from, thus creating a target market for me. This newly found market consisted of young adults ages 18-30 that owned pets. In a geographical sense, this audience was mostly local due to my confinement and limitation to the city of Gainesville. The fact that pet owners value their pets so highly translates to immediate demand for any means of locating them if lost; yet while this opportunity seems to present itself locally, it is only logical to extrapolate this situation to any town or city with a big enough population of pet owners, thus allowing for the creation of growth for this venture. Thus began the process of creating a solution for this newly found opportunity. The creation of a solution isn’t always as easy as some might perceive it to be, rather it is a meticulous process in which many ideas are subjected to trial and error more times than I’d care to count. Nevertheless what really seems to drive a good venture is a reliable innovation that appeals to a certain market, in my case, local young pet owners. In due time, I came up with an idea which can be considered incrementally innovative as opposed to radically so. I thought that there are current ways to locate lost pets, through installation of chips and other devices that allow for localization of an animal. This process, however, has a cost drawback as not many young adults have the means to afford such an expensive process. This is where I decided to take advantage of a currently popular means of interaction, social networks. Through the modification of a basic network plan, I would in theory be able to create an interconnected social structure dedicated to pets, whether it is finding them or simply interacting with other pet owners. This way I am not creating a drastically new idea, but rather modifying an already successful one and repurposing it to fit the needs of pet owners, my target market. Through the creation of this application and possibly a website, I would attract the attention of many businesses who provide services as well as products to pets and pet owners alike. This source of revenue would be highly marketing based, with some side revenue collected from selling data such as user preferences and interests. With the creation of this new application, users will be able to easily access a network of similar individuals with common goals besides simply interaction. The original goal of this venture is to allow for pet owners to easily and accessibly engage in the finding of their lost pets. What makes this venture especially attractive is the simplicity of access and usage; the user interface will be as simple as some of today’s leading social networks. This venture will be organized as a tech company, driven largely by programmers and information technology employees as well as marketing personnel in order to spread the brand, thus ensuring appropriate staff is in charge of tackling any issues or problems that might arise. My most important advantage going into this venture is the untapped market I will be exploiting, as I am the first to enter this market, I will hold a large market share with virtually no direct competitors. My next target opportunity will be to spread the usage of my network to a national scale and firmly grasp bigger cities and major metropolitan areas. The feedback I have gotten has been overwhelmingly supportive. I cannot express into words how helpful the students in this class have been; whereas I initially thought many would simply type in vague comments that wouldn't be much help, the feedback proved to be vital in shaping the way that I conduct my venture. This being said, I plan to expand to larger markets once I prove that my venture can be sustainable and profitable in a local one.


5 comments:

  1. Andres,
    I really wish you broke up your venture concept. It was really hard to read. I formatted mine by using contrasting fonts and adding more images to be easy on the eyes. When I first started reading your venture concept, I thought that you were leading towards something else. I thought you were going to design an app that can be a GPS locator for your pet. For instance, create a collar that has a tracker in it. This may be competitive to the chip placed in their heads though. I’m not sure how the price difference would be. I rescued my dog from an animal shelter. They gave her all of her shots, and a chip was placed in her head with my address in it. I bought her with all of this for a hundred bucks. It would be nice to have something that is immediate unlike the chips placed in their head. For example, once you know your animal is lost, you can immediately pull up the app to locate where they are. That way, you don’t have to wait on a response from someone or response from an animal shelter. So your focus is on building a social media website that has pet information on it about health, products etc.? Is it going to be like a Facebook for pets? I think that would be fun. I’m just a little confused on how it’s going to efficiently locate a pet. It would have to narrow down to only communicate with the pet owners in your town when placing an ad. I understand that you want affordability associated with your business. I’m curious to know what your revenue sources will be. I focused my venture utilizing technology and the web as well. You should check out my blog at: http://entuf.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just thought the format of this was hard to read. It looks like just one long paragraph. Nevertheless what I did read I found a bit odd. I don't understand the whole social media for dogs thing. I liked your first idea better with chips or the like in dog collars which would make finding the dog much easier. There still needs to be some work done to it but so do all start up business. So you'll get there soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a pet owner, I can relate to your concept of providing pet owners a convenient way to locate their pets when they decide to take a stroll through their neighborhood unattended. There should be a good sized market for a product that would help pet owners locate a missing pet. Good concept and a good marketing potential. Good luck.
    You can find my blog at http://princeofentrepbyme.blogspot.com/2016/04/entrepreneur-venture-concept-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Andres,
    I have to agree with my fellow classmates in saying that your Venture Concept was a little hard to read. It was hard to separate your different sections of your post. Otherwise, I commend you on caring about your concept so much. I think we have all progressed and it seems you have to. Continue to want to do well in everything that you do. Goodluck!

    Here's my link:http://brekts.blogspot.com/2016/04/venture-concept-no-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Andres,

    You venture concept was written very well and it sounds like you are very dedicated to this cause and you really want to help people who struggle with this problem. I remember when i was younger chasing m dog throughout the neighborhood. It created good memories but looking back I am sure there could have been a better way to locate my dog. The market for this product would be huge because so many people have pets, so I think you have something to work with. Good luck with your venture.

    ReplyDelete