Friday, February 19, 2016

Week 7 Reading Reflection

In this week's Harvard Business Review reading about market segmentation, I learned that demographic segmentation is seemingly no longer a valid way to interpret population and demand for whatever it is that a marketing team is attempting to bring to market. It looks like marketing techniques have shifted from identifying a product with a company to focusing on the importance of a product to consumers. One of the things that was unclear to me about the reading was how one is able to tell which type of customer to reach under which approach to segmentation in order to maximize reach and profits. What criteria are behind the use of each type segmentation in each different situation? If I had the opportunity to ask the authors two questions about this reading, I would certainly first ask them to clarify my previous question about which type of segmentation is better under which conditions. I would also ask what does a marketer look for in a modern setting when trying to connect consumers with his new product since demographics seem to be outdated.
There wasn't really anything I specifically disagreed with, only a few things that I was slightly confused about.

No comments:

Post a Comment